Author Topic: Strategy on Razz  (Read 3432 times)

Offline DaisyDuke01

• QUEENS
  • Trips
Strategy on Razz
« on: August 07, 2007, 07:05:32 AM »
Hey guys,

I'm not too bad when it comes to RAZZ.  Mind ya, I'm not that great either. LOL

What I do is very simple, I will play a hand only if my 3 starters are under 9 & will fold automatically if I get dealt a pair.  After each street, I'll count the other players card to make sure I still have a chance. 

Ex:  I  have 3,5,8 as starters then get 10, then a 9.

other player as:  x,x,x, then I see they have an 8, then a 6.

I would think the other player as low cards hidden, as he is still in the hand.  As my 10-9 is not as good as his showing hand, I would fold at this point.

Another ex:  I have 1,5,9 then get 10, then 6, then 10
other player: x,x,x, then 9, then J. then 6

Thinking you need 5 cards to make your hand, as of now I know I have him.  I will only check or call a small raise.  If he turns a small cards next, say a 6 while I have an 10, then I know if his 3 hidden cards are under 9, he can have me beat.  As his highest card can be the 9 showing, while I'm still with 10 as the highest.  Then depending on his betting or not, I'll make my decision.  If I play before him, I might place a feeler bet just to see, where he is at.

Hope all this make sense.  ::)

Daisy

Offline witchywitchy

• Royal Member
  • QUEENS
  • Quads
    • Texaswheel
Re: Strategy on Razz
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 07:51:10 AM »

Good advice Daise - but don't forget to keep track of the cards that were folded too
WitchyWitchy

Offline DaisyDuke01

• QUEENS
  • Trips
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 09:13:21 PM »
You are right, quite true.  At the beginning of each hand, I took the habit of always spotting where my cards were on the table.  In case the players get folded.

Do you play often Witchy?? If so, where?

Daise

Offline witchywitchy

• Royal Member
  • QUEENS
  • Quads
    • Texaswheel
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 07:10:44 AM »
You are right, quite true.  At the beginning of each hand, I took the habit of always spotting where my cards were on the table.  In case the players get folded.

Do you play often Witchy?? If so, where?

Daise

Not as often as I like Daise - usually at one of the Carbon or one of the other Poker.com skins. When you log in and click on tournaments you can sort them by game type - makes it easy to find any non-holdem game registering.

If I'm going to be on the computer all day on projects that also allow me to play a game or two I'll log into Bugsy and register for a Razz SNG. Sometimes the game will fill in half an hour, other times not at all. Buc was running HORSE games at Bugsy and the attendance was abysmal - hold'em players just don't want to leave their comfort zone

I really enjoy HORSE and its variations or just Omaha, Stud and Razz alone as a nice break from holdem. I have found I've become a better holdem player just taking a break and playing other games.  Badugi is another nice change from holdem and the Poker.com skins have a Badugi freeroll around 3pm est so you can learn without spending a dime

There is talk to make the WSOP main-event HORSE instead of holdem. That would be a great as more players with bracelets in their eyes would start playing other game types

WitchyWitchy

Offline tinheads

• The Forum Jester
  • KINGS
  • Quads
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
that actually sounds like a good idea, most internet players only know NL Holdem( me included)
 and never try any other games
Having the main event bracelet for HORSE would favour the all round poker player as opposed to  the player who gets luckiest with all ins at the later stages of the tourny(no offence meant to any holders of the bracelet lol)
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 06:23:48 AM by tinheads »

Offline DaisyDuke01

• QUEENS
  • Trips
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2007, 10:22:24 PM »
The reason why I like RAZZ so much, is that as a rule I'm not a lucky person.  Realizing that Poker is a game of skill with a certain amount of luck, I start out with a disadvantage.  RAZZ will give me more of an edge then any other format out there.  What's better then getting what you've come to expect, low unsuited cards ??? 

Mind ya, not to say I'm lousy at hold'em......just takes a little bit more  ;)

But outside the tourneys at Fulltilt, I haven't played RAZZ at Poker.com yet.  I'll take a look, tks for sharing.

Daisy

Offline SharBear613

• QNK Cheerleader &
  • Global Moderator
  • Royal
  • QNK Graphics Guru
    • Maximum Poker League
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007, 11:08:20 PM »
Next to NLH, Razz if my favorite game!  I absolutely love it! 

I agree it is ideal to have 3 low unpaired cards to play, but I will play a hand if I have two low card and a high card that is hidden just to see my next card.  You also have to consider what the other players have.  If I have a 2 showing and an Ace and 10 in the hole, I am going to limp in to see the next card.  If it's high - fold, if its low - through out a raise.  If the players see you with a 2 and another low card, they are going to think twice about calling because they will assume your hole cards are low too. 

Not sure I explained that well......but hopefully you get the idea.  lol

I play Razz a lot on Vegas.  They always have a Razz tournament at night. 
  GOOOOOOOO QUEENS!

Visit my blog @ http://www.gamblingthrills.com/

Offline witchywitchy

• Royal Member
  • QUEENS
  • Quads
    • Texaswheel
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 07:02:07 AM »

I always love to see the other players with high cards or pairs betting like crazy. Those are the players I mentally put a bullseye on and I will look for every opportunity to take advantage of them and get their chippies. Oh Yeah!!!!
WitchyWitchy

Offline zzbob

• KINGS
  • Pair
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 08:12:14 AM »
Razz is usually played with a limit format.  Yesterday however I played a no limit razz and there was not near as much chasing.  I got lucky until right at the end when I lost the heads up.  Seven card stud is much different than holdem and razz is just low card seven card stud.  There are not nearly as many traps and pitfalls a s holdem.  I played stud for 40 years but it seems that on line most people have played only holdem.  Lot's of newbies.

Offline jeffsbabe

• QUEENS
  • Trips
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 11:05:57 AM »
this is my strategy on Razz.

Only go in the hand if I have 3 cards 8 or below

I stay in the hand if my highest card is lower than the highest card showing of my opponents, if not, I fold

This usually works pretty well for me.

Offline Queen Admin

• Owner/Forum
  • Administrator
  • Royal
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »
That sounds like some real good stradegy for razz jeffsbabe, ty for sharing that.
Betty   

Offline puzzykat

• Royal Member
  • Quads
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2008, 11:21:09 AM »
i have been trying to play this game for the last 6 months.  i am poorer because of it.  i was determined to learn it though because it was my weakest game in horse.  now i can say that omaha h/l is my weakest.  one thing i do is glimpse the table real fast and count all the low cards showing.  knowing there is 32 cards 8 and under.  for all the players who stay in the hand i add to more per person to my count.   i keep that count current with each play.  do you follow that idea?  it helps give mt an idea of whats left to come,  even though its not real scientific.  i need every little edge i can get.  this is the only game i seem to get a full house in. ;D...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal